Lately, I have been working on getting our family photos up around the house as well as some photos we took of Ethiopia while we were there. After I got my first round of photos up my son was so excited! He kept walking around the house carrying around the photos in the glass frames. Naturally, most of the photos are up high and are in glass frames where my kids can not see them unless we pick them up or they reach up and pull them down. You can see the problem. So I placed some pictures down on their level! Now they can enjoy the photos and stay safe! I came up with a fun solution to upcycle old CD cases & turn them into photos magnets.
My kids are enjoying them very much & I look forward to the conversations that these will create in our kitchen each day. I love looking at them as I pass by while cooking! The square shape of the CD case offers a look that is a bit more modern then the store bought kind! How cool is it that you get to upcycle old CD cases too?
Along with these refrigerator magnets, I previously made coasters & a dry erase magnet board.
DIY Photo Magnets, Coasters , & Dry Erase Magnet Board:
How To Upcycle Old CD Cases to make photo magnets:
- Go to www.picmonkey.com and create a collage & save to your computer/or if you only want a single photo then simply print it to fit the CD case.
- Scale the photo’s size to fit the CD case (If you don’t have any old Cd cases you can find some new ones here.)
- Print your collage or photo.
- Cut photo, collage, or paper to fit the case. I used my rotary cutter, cutting mat, & clear acrylic ruler to make things easier & faster.
- Open CD case and remove the CD case cover photo paper insert and the back cover insert. If you don’t have old CD cases but you still like the idea you can find new CD Cases here.
- Replace with your collage, photo, or even your favorite scrapbook paper, as I did for my coasters and dry/wet erase magnet board.
- Put the case back together. (If you still need to store your CD and inserts just put them back in the case and place the inserts behind your photo, collage or paper.
- Then apply the business card adhesive magnet. (obviously not for the coaster)
(For a larger surface utilize the back of the CD case as the front of your magnet, coaster or wet erase board.)
Put to use!
Finding new ways to use old things is fun! Do you have any cool new ways to upcycle old things in useful ways? I’d love to hear your ideas!
Disclosure of my Affiliate Links: From time to time, you will find a link to a product or service within this blog. I may be compensated for any purchases you make without any added costs on your end. I only support products and services I feel to be of value to my readers. Thank you!