This paper bowl island craft was inspired by the book, “An Island Grows”, by Lola M. Schaefer. My kids and I had so much fun doing this paper bowl craft together! Making the island appear out of the ocean just like in the book really made the book come to life!
We wanted our islands to be representative of the book, showing how things grew up out of the island after it was formed. So we had fun creating all kinds of colorful plants, trees, and flowers out of popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners. It created a beautiful rainbow of living things on our islands!
How to make a paper bowl island:
What you need:
- Paper bowl
- Brown paint (optional blue and white paint)
- Paint brush
- Colorful pipe cleaners
- Blue paper
- *Optional green construction paper
- Scissors & knife
What you do:
- Color an ocean on blue paper
- Paint the bottom of a paper bowl brown or green (optional: add tan for beach and blue for the ocean to show the transfer from island to the ocean.)
- Use green popsicle sticks and build plants & flowers on them using pipe cleaners.
- Poke holes in the bottom of the bowl where you want to place your island growth.
- Set your island on your ocean and tape it down to the blue paper just under the lip of the bowl.
See your island come to life!
This paper bowl craft was also a great fine motor activity as my kids worked on tightening all of their pipe cleaner creations.
I hope you & your kids enjoy making these!
Thanks for visiting!
Disclosure of my Affiliate Links: From time to time, you will find a link to a product or service within this blog. I may be compensated for any purchases you make without any added costs on your end. I only support products and services I feel to be of value to my readers. Thank you!