Unicorn crafts are definitely a big hit and these model magic unicorn craft photo holders are a very useful craft as well!
How To Make Model Magic Unicorn Craft Photo Holders:
What You Need:
If you want to make these as a craft for a unicorn birthday party craft, you can buy a 2 lb tub that has 4 8oz. packages of it to make about 18 unicorn photo holders, using the same size unicorn cookie cutter that I used at the same width I did mine. If you buy an 8 oz package of Model Magic you can make up to about 4 per package. I bought the white model magic because I wanted to be able to paint them in the exact colors I wanted them in but you could also purchase the model magic in various colors.
- This unicorn cookie cutter
- 20 gauge pink wire (Or whatever color you choose)
- Crafting wire cutters and pliers
- Paint brush
What You Do:
If you are working with a tween or a teenage child then this craft is great to have them complete from start to finish depending on their artistic abilities. However, if you are working with an elementary aged child like I did, I recommend making these up to the point of painting them. Little ones might not be able to complete the first few steps before the final step of painting. My daughter is 6 and she was able to paint these perfectly without a lot of help from me.
- Take a chunk of model magic and flatten it out to the same width as your unicorn cookie cutter. (My cookie cutter is about 1″ thick.)
- Press the unicorn cookie cutter into the model magic until it goes all the way through. It will stick to the sides so press off any excess on the edges and gently and slowly push it through from the back to the front. The front of the unicorn should come out smooth and clean. You will want to gently smooth and form your unicorn into it’s final shape. (see video)
Add The Wire
- Cut about 6 or 8 inches of wire and form two loops making one loop slightly shorter than the other. At the rough end (the end you will place into the horn of the unicorn) use your wire pliers and gently twist all of it together until it is straight and also secure at the bottom.
- Carefully press the wire into the top of the horn of the unicorn holding its shape the best you can as you put it in.
- After getting the wire secure in the horn you will want to reshape the horn a little to get it back to it’s nice unicorn horn form. You can get your finger slightly damp to help smooth out the model magic but not too much.
- Once you are happy with the shape and the wire is secure in your unicorn photo holders, you are ready to paint.
- Paint these on both sides and allow to dry.
- You will need to allow the model magic a few days to dry as well. The thicker your model magic creations the longer they take to completely dry out.
The best part about using model magic
is that it drys nicely but when dropped it doesn’t shatter. It has a spongie like feeling to it and it’s very light and soft.
Once they have dried well enough you can slip a photo into place between the front and back wires. They would also make nice place card holders for a unicorn themed party!
I hope you have a wonderful time creating these fun unicorn craft photo holders!
Thanks for visiting!
Disclosure of my Affiliate Links: From time to time, you will find a link to a product or service within this blog. I may be compensated for any purchases you make without any added costs on your end. I only support products and services I feel to be of value to my readers. Thank you!