My kids were so excited when they saw the box from Insect Lore with our praying mantises in it for our Praying Mantis Unit Study!
I was a little nervous about having a Praying Mantis habitat, but I really enjoyed putting together this fun Praying Mantis Unit Study to go along with our little habitat.
Disclosure of my Affiliate Links:
From time to time you will find a link to a product or service within this blog. I may be compensated for any purchases you make without any added costs on your end. I only support products and services I feel to be of value to my readers. Thank you!
Praying Mantis Mini Unit Study:
Please note: This is a mini unit study. We use our regular spelling, language, math, and history books regularly and add in these mini unit studies like this one to our regular homeschool curriculum.
Arts and Crafts:
- Mirror image drawing (drawing the missing half). We used the printables from, Adventure In A Box (See Here)
- Praying Mantis Coloring Page By: Education.com
Praying Manits Life Cycle:
- We used the free printable Life Cycle books & Praying Mantis Life Cycle 3-part-cards included in the Praying Mantis Printable Pack By: Fun With Mama.
- We used the free printable information cards to learn about the life cycle of the praying mantis as well as some other fun facts.
Praying Mantis Book List:
- Insect World Praying Mantises Hungry Insect Heros
- Attracting Beneficial Bugs to Your Garden
- Who is in the Garden
- The Big Book of Bugs
- Mauelo The Playing Mantis
Praying Mantis Habitat:
- Care for praying mantis egg case as you wait.
- Observe the nymphs (baby mantises) hatching from the egg case.
- Care for and observe praying mantises.
- We used the free printable stationary included in the Praying Mantis Printable Pack By: Fun With Mama.
- At the end of our unit I had each of my kids dictate something they wanted to share about what they learned during their praying mantis unit study. As they narrated I typed up what they said and printed it out for them to copy onto their Praying Mantis stationary to send to the grandparents. It’s a great way to have them get excited about writing by sharing what they learned with their grandparents.
I hope you and your little learners enjoy this mini unit study on praying mantises!